6.24.2011

Accountability? What's that?

Lyndsay and I were talking the other night about her work and it reminded me of my days working at the MTC, which, when I say that, it makes it sound like it was SO long ago (It feels like that some days! haha). Lyndsay made a comment about accountability that totally struck a chord with me, which is what leads me to writing this post. It seems in the struggle for "free choice" many are abandoning all notions of accountability. Almost as if the two couldn't possibly exist. Since when did accountability become a bad thing? Lyndsay shared one example of this guy who called her up at work and was SUPER frustrated that he couldn't find the clinic for his appointment. Lyndsay asked what address he had since a few clinics had recently moved. The address was for the clinic was on Street Y (I will leave out the real names since they won't make a difference) and the man calling had the correct street address. However, he couldn't find the address. He begins yelling and cursing and getting all bent out of shape that Lyndsay and her company had made the address SO hard to find. Well, come to find out, the man wasn't even on Street Y. He was on a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STREET! And yet, it was still Lyndsay's fault that he couldn't find the address. How does that work? Another example. While working at the MTC I was almost daily amazed at how quickly individuals would point the finger of blame at God for their own inadequacies. It was God's fault that they couldn't keep the law of chastity. It was God's fault that they "couldn't refrain" from sin. It was ALWAYS somebody else's fault. Does this mean that when I am out playing golf, and I miss a shot, it is because the wind didn't blow my ball in the right direction? Or because the golf course chi was out of wack, therefore meaning the owners of the course hadn't properly dialed in the course-wide zen? Or, heaven forbid, could it simply be that I messed up my shot? Maybe my timing was off in my club rotation, maybe my take-back was too shallow, maybe I lifted my head too early, etc. There are a myriad of reasons for a muffed golf shot, but the point being that I am the one swinging the club, nobody else. I think this is partly what Christ's apostles understood when, upon learning that one of the apostles would betray Christ, they immediately said "Is it I?" <----- Accountability. I think this is one of Satan's greatest undercover undermining of God's plan for each of us. Let me just say, I am so thankful for parents who have helped me to understand accountability and the fact that I make the decisions, and by the decisions I make, I choose the consequence.

Golf Blog Signature Smaller

No comments: